As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Summer is a great time to get kids interested in gardening. With this sunflower life cycle worksheet, they can learn about the different stages of a sunflower’s life while having fun!
The life cycle of the sunflower worksheet is easy to use – kids just need to cut and paste the sequence of events, and then color in the pictures. It’s a great way to teach them about plants while they’re having fun!
This science activity is perfect for preschoolers, kindergarteners, and early elementary students. Be sure to add it to your upcoming life cycle activities for kids.
Related: Life Cycle of a Sunflower Worksheets
In order to learn about the world around them, it is important for children to learn about the life cycles of living things. By understanding how plants and animals grow and change over time, they can gain a greater appreciation for the natural world around us.
In addition, studying life cycles can also be a very educational experience. Not only will students learn about the basic stages of development, but they will also learn about the different adaptations that allow plants and animals to survive in their environments.
By teaching students about life cycles, we can help them to better understand and appreciate the world around them. Add this engaging activity to your science center.
Sunflower Life Cycle Worksheet
Sunflowers are one of the best-loved flowers in the world. Their large, bright blossoms add a touch of happiness to any garden, and their seeds are a delicious and nutritious snack.
But did you know that there is more to a sunflower than meets the eye? Let’s take a closer look at the life cycle of this amazing plant.
Sunflowers start life as small seeds. With the right conditions, these seeds will germinate and grow into young plants. The plants will then produce buds, which will eventually open into a beautiful sunflower.
Once the new flowers have bloomed, they will begin to produce seeds of their own. And so the cycle begins anew.
Preparing the Worksheet
To get started, gather the materials you’ll need to prepare the activity. I suggest the following:
Now that you have all of your supplies, let’s get started with the prepwork.
- First, scroll to the very bottom of this post and request the file.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Open and print the worksheets making as many as you need for your students.
- If you’d like to make them reusable, laminate the pages and add velcro dots.
That’s it! Now, you’re all set to use this activity with your preschoolers.
Completing the Activity
Our life cycle of a sunflower sequencing worksheet is the perfect way for young learners to become familiar with the stages of a sunflower’s life.
They can look at the pictures and arrange them in order from seed, to flower, to pollination, back to seed again. It encourages them to think through each step logically and builds problem-solving skills.
It also teaches them how plants grow in unique patterns, making it an educational and exciting activity!
- Hand out the worksheet along with scissors and glue.
- Explain to the students that they are going to cut out the sequencing pictures at the bottom of the page.
- Next, they will put the pictures in order to demonstrate the life cycle of a sunflower.
- Then, have them glue those pictures to the boxes at the top of the page.
- Finally, use the completed page to tell a friend or family member how sunflowers grow.
Teaching About Life Cycles
I love when one simple activity touches on so many skills! That makes teaching so much easier. This worksheet does just that! But, what skills does it cover?
• Science: Children will learn how sunflowers grow from seed to flower. They’ll learn new vocabulary words associated with how dragonflies grow – seed, germinate, sprout, etc.
• Logical Reasoning: When teaching about the life cycle, you can help kids logic out the sequence and order of events by having them look for patterns in nature.
Plant Cycle for Kids
Summertime is the perfect time for kids to learn about the life cycles of plants! Here are a few activities that they can do to help them learn and stay engaged:
• Kids will love planting their own sunflower. Plant some sunflower seeds in a pot or in the ground and watch them grow! Keep track of how tall the plants get, how many leaves they have, and when they start to bloom.
• Go on a nature walk and look for different stages of plant life cycles. See if you can find any seedlings, flowers, or fruits.
• Visit a local farm or farmers market and learn about how plants are grown. Talk to the farmers about what they do to care for their plants and how they know when the plants are ready to harvest.
• Make a batch of homemade Play-Doh and add some green food coloring to it. Use the Play-Doh to make different shapes that represent the different stages of a plant’s life cycle. It’s a great way to combine science and fine motor skills in one fun activity.
With these fun activities, kids will be sure to learn all about plant life cycles while they enjoy their summer break!
Sunflower Books for Kids
If you’re looking for a sunny book to share with your young readers, why not try one of these titles about sunflowers?
From cheery picture books to informative non-fiction, there’s something for every youngster who loves these happy flowers.
Whether you’re looking for a fun read aloud or a thought-provoking novel, be sure to check out one of these books about sunflowers for kids.
- Sunflower House by Eve Bunting
- A Sunflower’s Life Cycle by Mary R. Dunn
- Katie and the Sunflowers by James Mayhew
- Loujain Dreams of Sunflowers by Uma Mishra-Newbery
- The Sunflower Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs
Life Cycle Worksheets
If your kids enjoyed this life cycle of a sunflower worksheet, they’ll love learning more about life cycles with one or more of these life cycle printables: