Spring is right around the corner, and I can’t wait for warmer weather, butterflies, and flowers! Get your kids excited about spring when you head outdoors with this fun spring nature scavenger hunt.
Because this scavenger hunt idea for kids contains picture clues, kids of all ages can participate. Kids can pair up or work individually to find all of the items on this list.
I love finding new ways to encourage my kids to get outside and connect with nature. Scavenger hunts are a great reason to get outdoors this time of the year.
Spring Nature Scavenger Hunt
Most kids I know love exploring nature. Those who don’t will usually enjoy it with a purpose. That’s where a scavenger hunt can come in handy.
Many kids these days would rather stay inside and play video games or watch television. They may be reluctant to go outside because “there’s nothing to do”.
Give your kids something to do! Print out this fun nature scavenger hunt, and go exploring.
HOW TO PLAN A SCAVENGER HUNT FOR YOUR KIDS
Print one copy of the spring scavenger hunt for each child or team participating.
You can laminate the page and use dry erase markers if you’d like to make the page reusable.
This printable scavenger hunt is perfect for all ages. Older kids can search for the items individually and race to be the first one to find everything on the list.
Younger kids can pair up with a buddy who can help them identify all of the objects and mark them off as they’re found.
If you’d like, bring along a small backpack to collect all of the objects they find. Add them to your nature table when you get back home.
HOW ELSE CAN YOU USE THIS SCAVENGER HUNT?
You can use this scavenger hunt as a springboard for more nature study with your kids.
• Ladybug: This pack of ladybug life cycle worksheets pack features twelve engaging activities that are perfect for preschoolers, pre-k, and kindergarteners.
• Bird: If you’re teaching about birds or have a bird enthusiast in your homeschool, you’ll love this bird scavenger hunt printable.
• Flowers: This life cycle of a sunflower printable is perfect for assembling a lapbook that will fit right into your summer science lessons.
• Butterfly: Spring and summer are the best time of year to study butterflies. This printable features nine life cycle of a butterfly activities for early learners.
• Eggs: Do not miss this adorable birds nest preschool math activity that encourages kids to practice counting to 20.
• Bee: These busy bee printables are perfect for your spring and summer homeschool plans. You can even use them for a quiet time activity, if you’d like.
• Squirrel: Squirrel cut and paste printables are perfect for giving young learners an opportunity to strengthen motor skills while working on math and literacy activities.
MORE SCAVENGER HUNTS
- Bedroom scavenger hunt (perfect for cold winter days)
- Forest scavenger hunt
- ABC nature scavenger hunt
- Number scavenger hunt (another indoor scavenger hunt)
BOOKS ABOUT Nature
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about nature. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• Exploring Nature: Activity Book for Kids – Encourage young nature lovers to get outside and track, explore, discover, and create. This book is filled with hands-on, educational outdoor activities that kids will love to learn from, like crafting bird feeders out of fruit, pressing flowers, or creating sundials.
• Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt – Up in the garden, the world is full of green—leaves and sprouts, growing vegetables, ripening fruit. But down in the dirt there is a busy world of earthworms digging, snakes hunting, skunks burrowing, and all the other animals that make a garden their home.
• Curious Kids Nature Guide – Curious Kids Nature Guide is filled with full-color illustrations and fun facts about the natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest, encouraging kids to discover and explore nature in their own backyards and beyond.