A House for Hermit Crab worksheets help preschoolers and kindergarteners practice math and literacy skills with a fun ocean theme.
This set of free printables feature worksheets that give young learners an opportunity to work on counting, beginning sounds, handwriting, and more.
Children love Eric Carle books, and they love ocean animals. Combine the two in this adorable picture book as we follow Hermit Crab on his journey to find a new house.
A House for Hermit Crab Worksheets
These print-and-go A House for Hermit Crab printables are perfect for young readers. They’ll love digging into the story with these activities.
A House for Hermit Crab Activities
Young learners will love these hands-on activities, and they’re perfect for helping little ones engage with the story.
When reading A House for Hermit Crab, you can add one or more of these activities to your to-do list:
• If you live near a beach, let your students complete a beach scavenger hunt.
• Create a fun beach-themed handprint art project. Personalize it with a beach picture of your child.
• Present your student with a fun ocean-themed color-by-number worksheet.
• Have children build Hermit Crab a house with this fun STEM activity.
Preparing the Printables
All you need to do to prepare these printables is print them out. You can print the coloring pages on regular printer paper for kids to complete.
All activity pages can be printed on cardstock and laminated to make them reusable. Just have kids complete the page with a dry erase marker.
Using the Printables
There are a variety of ways you can use the printables in this worksheet pack.
You can print out the worksheets and put them in a folder for your kids to work through.
Or, you can pick and choose the worksheets you’d like to work on based on the skills you’re currently working on with your little ones.
A House for Hermit Crab Book Companion
Kids ages 3-6 will love diving deep into the story of A House for Hermit Crab. These print-and-go worksheets will help you do just that.
Here’s a peek at what’s included in this 20-page activity pack:
• Color and Trace: These pages are a lot of fun for little ones. Don’t worry if your preschooler doesn’t color in the lines. Just let them use their imaginations to color the picture strengthening their motor skills as they do. If they’re ready, they can trace the name of each animal, as well. This set includes a hermit crab, fish, sea anemone, sea urchin, starfish, and snail.
• Color and Match: There are two color and match worksheets included. The first has kids drawing lines from left to right to match the pictures. The other has kids drawing a line from left to right to match the picture to its beginning sound.
• Alphabet Tracing: Children will trace both the uppercase and lowercase alphabet – each on a separate page. This is a good page to laminate. Have kids color the hermit crab or print the page on colored paper. Then, laminate the worksheets and use dry erase markers to complete.
• Trace It: Little ones will trace a path from the top left corner to the bottom right corner to help Hermit Crab find his shell.
• Count it: There are nine sets of ocean animals on the page. Kids will count the animals in each set. Then, they will circle or dot the correct number. This is a great opportunity to work on number recognition, counting to ten, and one-to-one correspondence.
Color Words: Children will read the color word in each box (just the six colors of the rainbow), and they’ll color the hermit crab accordingly.
Letter H: Little ones can practice handwriting and letter formation with this page that features Hh and the words “hermit crab”.
Dab It: Your kids will strengthen fine motor skills (and letter recognition) as they use do-a-dot markers to fill each circle. No dot marks? No problem. Use pom poms, clear gems, or other small manipulatives to fill the dots.
Beginning Sounds: Children will learn that hermit crab sounds with the /h/ sound. Then, they’ll cut and paste objects that begin with the same sound.
Trace the Lines: Children will chase a variety of lines from left to right. This is a great opportunity for them to track from left to right on a page.
Download Your Printables
This preschool pack is only available to my readers. Click the button below, enter your information, and download your printables.