This one-page pond scavenger hunt is so much fun for little ones. Keep them engaged on your next nature walk.
There is so much to see around the pond. Print out this nature scavenger hunt printable for kids, and see if your kids can find all of the items on the list.
To prepare for this scavenger hunt, print out one page for each child who will participate. Then, gather pens or crayons for each one.
If you’d like this page to be reusable, you can laminate it and use dry erase markers to mark off your findings. This way, you can use them over and over again.
Pond Scavenger Hunt
One fun thing about scavenger hunts is that they can be done individually or in groups. Siblings can pair up and compete as teams, or they can work individually and race against each other.
This scavenger hunt is perfect for families with little ones since the scavenger hunt clues are shared in picture form. No reading required.
Pond Scavenger Hunt Clues
This scavenger hunt is designed for use at your local pond. You can go to a neighborhood pond or search for a park with a pond you can explore.
You may need to visit several ponds to find all of the objects on this list. I will… our neighborhood pond doesn’t have a bridge or lily pads.
Before you head out on your scavenger hunt, be sure your kids are familiar with all of the items on this page. You’ll be hunting for the following:
• a log, a frog, trees, and a butterfly
• dragonfly, a bridge, lily pads, and rocks
• fish, a heron/crane, mosquito, and turtle
• cattails, a duck, water lilies, and a caterpillar
BOOKS ABOUT THE POND
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about the pond. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• Pond Walk – Buddy and his mother are spending a relaxing day at Pete’s Pond. As Mama tells Buddy about the animals, bugs, and plants they see, Buddy sketches them on his drawing pad.
• Life in a Pond – Discover the animal and plant life in and around ponds.
• In the Small, Small Pond – A child explores the wonders of the natural world in this rhyming, beautiful bright colored picture storybook about the lives of small animals and insects living around a freshwater pond.