Are you looking for a fun activity to keep your kids entertained and engaged? Look no further than a backyard scavenger hunt!
With this free printable scavenger hunt, kids of all ages can explore their own backyard while on an exciting treasure hunt.
They will have loads of fun searching for each of the objects on the page.
Not only is it a great way to spend time together as a whole family, but it also encourages problem-solving skills and creative thinking.
Read on to learn more about setting up a home-based scavenger hunt and get some tips on how to make it even more exciting!
What’s a Scavenger Hunt?
A scavenger hunt is a game or activity where participants must search for specific items described on a list.
Participants try to collect all of the items on the list, usually within a specified time limit.
Scavenger hunts can be held outdoors or indoors and are popular activities for children and adults alike!
How to Create a Scavenger Hunt
Creating the perfect scavenger hunt is a great way to bring some fun and excitement to your outdoor activities.
To make your own scavenger hunt, begin by gathering a few supplies such as paper, pencils, markers, and a clipboard.
Then, decide on the theme of your scavenger hunt – it could be anything from animals to plants or even things like shapes or colors.
Once you have chosen a theme, write up a list of items that fit the theme. Finally, choose your location and create map markers for each item on the list.
When you’re ready to play, give each player the list and map markers and let them start their search!
Backyard Scavenger Hunt
Free printable scavenger hunts are a fun way to host a scavenger hunt for any age group. Just print and go!
Our backyard scavenger hunt is the perfect reason to head outside for some fresh air. Nature hunts are a great option for both younger kids and older kids.
All you need to do is print the scavenger hunt page, grab a marker and a clipboard, and head outdoors!
Choose where your kids will do this fun outdoor scavenger hunt. You can send them out into the backyard to find as much as possible. If they can’t find everything on their list of things, expand the hunt to the neighborhood or a local park.
On this fun backyard scavenger hunt, your kids will search for
- a butterfly, a caterpillar, and a bee
- 3 rocks, 2 sticks, and a leaf
- items that are yellow, purple, red, or blue
- a spider and a spider web
- and more!
Printable Scavenger Hunt Games
Printable scavenger hunt games are an exciting and engaging way to add some fun to any occasion. These games are perfect for birthday parties, family gatherings, or even just a night in with friends.
With our outdoor scavenger hunt ideas, all you need is a printer and a few supplies such as pens and paper to create a unique game of hide-and-seek.
You can customize the game to suit your participants, adding clues and tasks that they must complete while on the hunt.
In no time at all, you will have a unique and exciting game that people of all ages will enjoy! Here are some of our favorites:
- Forest Scavenger Hunt
- Fall Leaf Scavenger Hunt
- Outdoor Sensory Scavenger Hunt
- Virtual Scavenger Hunt from Play Party Plan
- Birthday Party Scavenger Hunt
BOOKS ABOUT Nature
Fill your book basket with a great collection of books about nature. Most of these books can be found at your local library or used bookstore.
If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them through my Amazon affiliate links by clicking the images below.
• Exploring Nature: Activity Book for Kids – Encourage young nature lovers to get outside and track, explore, discover, and create. This book is filled with hands-on, educational outdoor activities that kids will love to learn from, like crafting bird feeders out of fruit, pressing flowers, or creating sundials.
• Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt – Up in the garden, the world is full of green—leaves and sprouts, growing vegetables, ripening fruit. But down in the dirt there is a busy world of earthworms digging, snakes hunting, skunks burrowing, and all the other animals that make a garden their home.
• Curious Kids Nature Guide – Curious Kids Nature Guide is filled with full-color illustrations and fun facts about the natural wonders of the Pacific Northwest, encouraging kids to discover and explore nature in their own backyards and beyond.
RESOURCES I LOVE
Build a flower sensory bin for hands-on fun this spring. Allow kids to explore colors and textures with fake flowers, river rocks, and more.
Gather leaves and flowers on your next nature walk. Use this personalized flower press to preserve them.
A backyard scavenger hunt is a fun way to keep kids entertained and engaged. With this free printable scavenger hunt, they can explore their own backyard while on an exciting treasure hunt!
Not only is it entertaining but it also encourages problem-solving skills and creative thinking. We hope you enjoyed learning more about setting up your own home-based scavenger hunt as well as some tips for making it even more exciting.
So what are you waiting for? Gather the materials, create your list of items, choose a location, and let the games begin! Happy hunting!